Friday, December 23, 2011

Family Blessings

Today my family blessed me.  They celebrated my recent graduation with a meal, and each family member gave me a piece of advice.  They advised me to…
CE: learn to cook many things before I get married.
BR: give guys a “no thank you” date.
CS: eat at least 7 meals a week unless I am fasting.
AN: avoid making big decisions out of desperation.
GB: review any decision I make with the Lord.
GM: be kind.  And also to ask my grandma about everything, because she knows.
CO: make sure he’s the one before you jump the gun.
UA: consider long courtship and short engagement.
DS: avoid perfection.
ML: be a servant to all, especially Jesus.
BJ: lavish my resources on others.

I loved receiving their advice, because I knew they spoke to bring good things into my life and not harm.  Each person also spoke out of their own life experiences and values, mixed with what they know about me as a person.  And they also prayed for me, which was the best of all.  I felt loved.

It didn’t hurt that we ended the evening with a hilarious game of signs, in which my grandpa’s sign was picking his nose with his pinky finger.  This was followed by a cousin dance-off, and much laughter.

Therefore, I am preparing to enter a new year in kindness, serving others, and lavishing my resources.  By God’s grace, eating will continue to come naturally to me, and perfection will be avoided.  I’ll have to keep working on my cooking and carefully handle my decisions.  The dating and engagement advice will have to wait a while longer though.

2 comments:

  1. I'm having way too much fun figuring out your abbreviation system. :-)
    So...

    CH: Embrace change. Make it your idea, even if it absolutely isn't. Don't let your circumstances dictate your happiness.

    ReplyDelete