Monday, January 24, 2011

Hoops to Licensure

The only reason I'm writing right now is because I have accountability, and I have not written anything academic yet, nor have I written anything at all in several days.  I haven't read many sources yet, but I have read a few, so here goes...a rough, rough draft putting together some thoughts from my readings so far.
.....................................
Licensure as a psychologist is about jumping through a series of hoops, in order.  According to one source, the proportion of time that it takes to become licensed as a psychologist, compared to the median amount of money a psychologist makes, is significantly less than other professions, being a doctor for example.  So the hoops must completed in order, and there may be some slight variations based on your state of residence or choice.  First, you must apply to and enroll in an APA accredited program.  Check, that's the only thing on the list that I've accomplished so far.  Next, you must complete your doctoral degree.  Read, you must pass a number of classes, accumulate debt as a graduate student, spend hundreds of hours in practicum training, and write a dissertation.  Not only that, but in completion of your doctoral degree you must apply for internship sites and go through the match process to determine where you will be located for a year of your existence, likely uprooting you from the support networks you formed in graduate school and potentially causing relationship strife with any significant others (at least that's what I've heard).  After a successful supervised internship year at an APA accredited site, if you have finished your dissertation, then your doctoral degree will be conferred upon you.  Next hoop: the EPPP.  Also known as the...
................
to be continued, I've met my 15 min quota for the night ;)

1 comment:

  1. Do continue, I'm on pins and needles. Reminds me, though, of a certain famous quotician I once knew.

    ReplyDelete