Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hopes and Fears for Counseling

The purpose of the present post is to complete an assignment.  Surprisingly, though an assignment, this post will be a reflective post.  Fortuitously I have one class this semester that requires regular reflective posts.  But rest assured, I also already have academic papers that have been assigned for the semester, so practice on that front will be unavoidable.
.....

What are my hopes and fears for counseling this semester?  In learning a new skill it is only natural that I hope to be good at it.  Yes, I hope that the people I counsel will experience positive change in their lives as a result of our time together.  I hope to be a good listener for each client I see.  I hope that my clients feel accepted and encouraged by me.  I want to be a voice of encouragement in situations of despair and disappointment.  I want to help my clients gain insight into their lives.  I hope that they will get a glimpse of God's love for each of them, through me.  I hope my clients will trust me and be honest with me.

However, I also know that I will not be good at counseling.  So I have hopes to learn this semester.  I hope to learn from my supervisor, my peers, and my clients about things I am doing well, things I am doing poorly, and things I can do to improve.  I hope to learn to how to solicit honest feedback from my clients.  I hope to receive feedback well, and to learn much from it.  I hope to gain insight and method in the way that I think about individual clients, reflect on past sessions, and plan for future sessions.  I hope that a theory will find me, or at least begin to find me.

Practically, I hope for a good caseload.  I hope for clients who will be reliable in returning phone calls, coming to appointments, and calling to cancel an appointment.  I hope for very few no-shows, even though I have been told this wish is unlikely to be fulfilled.

I also hope, as in everything that I do, to learn more about God through counseling.  I hope to gain his heart of compassion for each person I meet with.  I hope to understand his purpose for me and for the world in a deeper way.  I hope to hear from him what he thinks about each of my clients, and commit each of them to him in prayer.

I fear going into sessions and not knowing what to do or what to say.  I fear being panicked when the time comes to bring the client in from the waiting room.  I fear handling an emergency or a suicidal client, and messing up the procedure for what I'm supposed to do at the CAC.  I hope to commit these fears to God in prayer, so that I am not overwhelmed by them.

I am afraid of disappointing my supervisor, because I want his approval.  I hope for a great relationship with him.

I worry that I will be so busy with other schoolwork that I will neglect doing things that I should to prepare for sessions.  I do not know how much time I will spend watching tapes and preparing for sessions.  I think that there will always be more that I could do to prepare, and I worry about not doing enough.  Thus I fear not being able to manage all my responsibilities well, and being distracted in all I undertake.  I hope to find a good balance.
.....
I wonder if this post would have been much different if I had also included expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment